Last time I went to pick up my mother from her home in Rockaway, I was able to watch a machine gun fight between the neighborhood thugs and the police. It didn’t even hit the papers. It is something we don’t talk about here in NY. We have strict gun laws and this type of crime doesn’t work well with the narrative that gun control stops gun crime.
The senate is coming for your guns, including handguns, if your guns hold more than 10 rounds. The new licensing requirements, if passed, mandate fingerprinting. If you have an unlicensed gun, it will be illegal until you register it. We have to talk gun confiscation to enforce the latter.
Gun control is on the fast track. If the Congress fails to act in a manner consistent with Obama ideology, he will simply pass it via executive order.
It doesn’t matter if it is unconstitutional because, by the time it gets to the SCOTUS, it will be too late. Most of the anti-gun legislation will be engrained in the very fiber of our government.
They will need to hire more government workers to handle all this. It will mean even more unsustainable government salaries and benefits and even more employees whose jobs depend on haunting people with bureaucratic paperwork which will in no way stop murders such as Newtown.
These regulations are far more severe than the 1994 assault weapons ban and it is only the beginning. The plan has always been to erode our Second Amendment rights until we have few gun rights. Mayor Bloomberg, who bills himself as a strong Second Amendment proponent, has made it near impossible for civilians to have legally registered guns in NYC.
“Of all the states that issue carry pistol licenses, New York State has arguably the strictest handgun licensing policies in the nation. New York City, which is effectively a “No-Issue” jurisdiction for carry pistol licenses, has even stricter laws, including those regulating handguns exclusively kept at home.” [Wiki]
Expect NY law to eventually be the law throughout the country. In NY, if you have an unlicensed gun, it’s punishable with a fine and jail time.
Feinstein’s law grandfather’s guns but requires registration. If her law is implemented, gun confiscation must be in the mix.
Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms;
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
Gun stats from Independent Journal Review
What guns will be on the 120 banned gun list? Certainly every rifle with an AR, AK or M anything in front of it, any gun with a detachable magazine in all likelihood, and shotguns with revolving cylinders for starters.
The worst part of this is that the Justice Department will be able to redefine almost any gun and call it an assault rifle/gun. Now that they are including handguns, there will be no limit. We are looking at UK-style gun control.
Let’s not forget that Cuomo used the words “gun confiscation” and Sam Donaldson told Tea Party people that “This is not your country anymore…” For all those who think I’m exaggerating about the bleak future for the Second Amendment, keep all this in mind as you sit on your apathetic derrieres.