Most of the hot air is coming from the United Nations. Their goals are not consistent with those of a free country and we had better know the facts before we follow them blindly. The most interesting is the following study of NASA satellite data. It seems a lot more heat is being released into space than predicted. It tells a very different story than the UN findings.
From Forbes: NASA satellite data from the years 2000 through 2011 show the Earth’s atmosphere is allowing far more heat to be released into space than alarmist computer models have predicted, reports a new study in the peer-reviewed science journal Remote Sensing. The study indicates far less future global warming will occur than United Nations computer models have predicted, and supports prior studies indicating increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide trap far less heat than alarmists have claimed.
Study co-author Dr. Roy Spencer, a principal research scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville and U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA’s Aqua satellite, reports that real-world data from NASA’s Terra satellite contradict multiple assumptions fed into alarmist computer models.
“The satellite observations suggest there is much more energy lost to space during and after warming than the climate models show,” Spencer said in a July 26 University of Alabama press release. “There is a huge discrepancy between the data and the forecasts that is especially big over the oceans.”
In addition to finding that far less heat is being trapped than alarmist computer models have predicted, the NASA satellite data show the atmosphere begins shedding heat into space long before United Nations computer models predicted… Read here: NASA data blows hole in global warming debate
The other study is from Duke University. What is most encouraging is that scientists are looking at possibilities other than the Armageddon envisioned by the UN.
Dr. Nicola Scafetta, research scientist at the Duke University Physics Department, and Craig Loehle, principal scientist at the National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, have written a new paper calculating that over the past 60 years humans have caused planetary warming at a pace of 0.66 degrees Celsius per century.
The Conclusions are:
1) The estimated AGW component matches theory, since the log of an exponential rise in carbon dioxide should give an approximatelinear trend (as in fact the climate models do). The timing of AGW effects (beginning in 1942) also matches expectations.
2) The fitted components match solar model forcings within their uncertainty.
3) The estimated sensitivity matches a no-amplification (neutral) climate sensitivity, or even a slight negative feedback case.
4) Warming due to anthropogenic GHG+Aerosol of 0.66 oC/Century is not alarming, in comparison to the IPCC protected 2.3 oC/Century This 0.66 value is an upper bound in our estimation (due to possible poorly corrected UHI and LULC effects that may explain part of the observed warming trend since 1950).
5) Cooling/flat temperatures till 2030 are likely (as also predicted by others).
6) Our result matches the historical record better than any other attribution study and better than GCM outputs. Read here: Not quite the increase in temperature predicted by the U.N.