A second firefighter has sacrificed his life to save others as the Texas fires destroy over a million acres, still unabated.
- Cost of containing fires throughout the state has spiralled to more than $8million
- 22 separate blazes burning throughout Texas
- Temporary improvement in weather conditions expected to last only a few days
- One fire in Stephen County increased in acreage by nearly 90,000 in just 24 hours
- Hundreds have been evacuated and fears grow of flames spreading to big cities
- Some fires burning dangerously close to Oklahoma border, where conditions are also ripe for spread
- Rain forecast for next few days giving weary firefighters some hope
Texans were today desperately praying for rain, as a second firefighter died from injuries sustained battling the terrible wildfires ravaging the state.
Cooler temperatures and calmer winds helped his weary colleagues at last get a handle on the latest wildfire, now spanning three northern Texas counties, but officials warned the let-up was only temporary.
The fires have now been raging for more than a week in Texas, so far burning through 1.4 million acres of land and racking up more than $8million in containment costs
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378816/Texas-wildfires-Million-acres-scorched-towns-red-alert.html#ixzz1K9VYBSth
Read more here:1 million acres in Texas destroyed.