Update: 4/11/13: It now turns out that the man whose permit was revoked was the wrong man! In some respects, this makes the situation worse. We can expect a lot more of this with a universal background check. [theblaze] I guess it was some other poor slob who is on xanax, not him.
Original Story: 4/10/13: Cuomo said the SAFE Act would not result in confiscation. That wasn’t true. His state police are now suspending the handgun permits of people in the state who are prescribed anti-anxiety medication, according to Jim Tresmond of the Tresmond Law Firm in Hamburg, New York. Tresmond Law specializes in firearm litigation.
This is medical information they shouldn’t legally have in the first place.
These are gun owners who reportedly have no issues of note and who have not been in trouble with the police. The government is not allowed to go through medical records according to HIPPA. Now with Obamacare, they will have everyone’s medical records with the press of a button.
via WBEN radio
Anti-anxiety drugs can be something as innocuous as xanax. This will in no way stop drug-addicted people who get their substances illicitly. Cuomo is going after legal gun owners if this report is accurate.
This is a civil rights violation and it’s anti-constitutional.
Cuomo already mentioned confiscation though he walked it back right before he forced his gun ban bill on New Yorkers:
Cuomo is a headcase. He is one of the people who shouldn’t be allowed to have a gun:
This isn’t only about the Second Amendment. Cuomo has set himself up as judge, jury and confiscator if this case proves to be true. His actions eliminate privacy rights and due process. What you see happen in New York is what can happen in the entire nation.
Gun confiscation is where the Democratic attacks on the Second Amendment will wind up. The original NY gun bill included gun confiscation but the Democrats kept it secret:
This is what legislator McLaughlin was referring to from the original NY gun bill:
- Confiscation of “assault weapons”
- Confiscation [of] ten round clips
- Statewide database for ALL Guns
- Continue to allow pistol permit holder’s information to be [revealed] to the public
- Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as “assault weapons”
- Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
- Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
- Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
- Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
- Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
- State issued pistol permits
- Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
- Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
- Mandatory locking of guns at home
- Fee for licensing, registering weapons
Mr. Keene of the NRA:
At least one former colleague said President Obama does not believe in private gun ownership:
“I knew Obama at the University of Chicago,” Lott told Ingraham. “We both taught there at the same time for about four years, and I talked to him about guns. I know what his views are on that.
“The first time I ever met him, I went, introduced myself, he said, ‘Oh, you’re the gun guy,’” Lott recalled. “He said to me, ‘I don’t believe people should be able to own guns.’”
Ingraham stopped the interview to clarify that Obama wasn’t talking about criminals owning guns but everyday citizens.
“No, it was very clear,” Lott said. “He said, ‘I don’t believe people should be able to own guns.”
Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992-2004, and Lott was a visiting professor and fellow at the university from 1994-1999. Read more at wnd
As soon as President Obama was re-elected, within a few days, he notified the UN that he wanted to reignite the Arms Trade Treaty.