” When you are young and a Liberal you are exciting! When you are old and a Liberal , you are a fool!!”
Several years ago, I received a call from my 80 year old Mom. Hysterically she said that she heard from the family,” that I was a Republican!” Being the first, and probably, to this day, the ONLY Conservatives in our entire families, my wife and I really stand out! But, every day, our political convictions are more and more solidified, as I see liberal policies FAIL!
Coming from a family of school teachers, I was always told that 95% of the school budget was NOT negotiable!! Any change would be DETRIMENTAL to “our kids” and the school system!
Yesterday, I read about Bobby Jindal, Louisiana’s Governor, and his plan to improve his state’s educational system by making changes that I was ALWAYS told were impossible to make!
- He was creating America’s largest school Voucher program!
- He was starting the broadest parental choice system!
- He would initiate the toughest teacher accountability program!
- ANY low-income student, from a school rated C, D, or F, was eligible!
- There would be NO new taxes to pay for this! The state pays $8,500 per student now. If a student leaves a poorly-rated school, this $8,500 goes to the new school! WOW! Competition!
- Teachers would receive tenure ONLY if they were highly rated (top 10%) five years in a row! A tenured teacher, who was suddenly rated “ineffective” (bottom 10% ) would return to probationary status! Unbelievable!
- Ineffective teachers would receive NO PAY RAISES!
- The “last in- first out” rule is gone!
- In exchange, Governor Jindal RAISED EDUCATIONAL SPENDING BY 10%! Great!
My Liberal friends have always told me that even though our education system is broken and definitely needed these changes -THEY WERE IMPOSSIBLE TO DO!
OK, – let’s keep our eye on that “poor, unsophisticated, non-elitist, State of Louisiana (NO Ivy League School or NY Times readers there)!
Maybe we can learn something!