Shooting at Ft. Hood – Updates, Not Terrorism

0
Share

Update: 04/03: 06:00: Army Specialist Ivan Lopez, 34, a truck driver, drove onto the base with a  .45 calibre gun. He got into one building and opened fire, got into another building and opened fire again. He was confronted by a female military police officer and after she engaged her weapon, he shot himself in the head.

What we know:

  • He served in Iraq for 4 months in 2011.
  • He was being treated for anxiety and depression, had behavioral issues and was on medication.
  • He self-reported a head injury but was not injured in combat.
  • He was not diagnosed with PTSD but that was being looked into as a possible cause.
  • He was married twice with kids.
  • He was transferred from another base in February.

The event appears to be workplace violence.

Soldiers with gun permits are not allowed to be armed on military bases. They are helpless during attacks like this. Keeping military bases as gun-free zones when bases are targeted by terrorists, seems contraindicated.

President Obama was “heartbroken” and continued on to his fundraiser.

It’s hard to know how anyone can stop someone who goes berserk which could be the case here.

 

Update: 20:30: The shooter is NOT the man named Booker who threatened a jihad at Ft. Hood. The shooter is reported to be Ivan Lopez, 34, who took his own life but that has not been confirmed by the military at Ft. Hood because his family has not been notified. Three of his victims died in a local hospital. A fourth is seriously injured. The victims were shot in the neck, the abdomen…it was a vicious attack.

Ivan Lopez

The shooting appeared to have stemmed from a personal dispute in a motor pool and was unrelated to terrorism according to early reports.

President Barack Obama said we’re “heartbroken” that something like this might have happened again.

 

Update: 19:20: Shooter down. No other shooters.

 

Update: 18:48: One shooter has been neutralized but there may be a second shooter. There are at least two people in the ER.

 

According to KCEN-TV, there are reports of multiple injuries from a possible shooting at the military base at Ft. Hood. At least one person has been transported to the local hospital.

The suspect is at large. Personnel were told to shelter in place.

There are other reports that the suspect is hold up in a medical support building.

Yesterday, there were reports that the FBI and the military have been hunting for a potential jihadist who may or may not have taken part in this shooting. There may be others involved.

Fox News reported that the suspect identified as “Booker” had told friends of his “intention to commit jihad.” Booker, who is also known as Muhammad Abdullah Hassan, was recruited by the U.S. Army in Kansas City, Mo., in February 2014 and was scheduled to report for basic training on April 7. But he was discharged last week, apparently after law enforcement authorities learned of his alleged plan.

I can’t find any corroborating evidence that this case is true and have removed the information about Booker.

In 2009, Maj. Nidal Hasan, an army psychiatrist, a radicalized Muslim, killed 13 people and wounded 30 others at Fort Hood. Hasan, who was born in Virginia, said the attack was revenge for U.S. led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. He was sentenced to death last year.

 

Share