Here is a nice summary of the Thursday, Over-the-Hump News. You should get the Xanax out before reading!
1. Today the Hagel nomination was filibustered with Republicans who demanded answers on Benghazi before any nominees are approved.
The CIA has flat-out refused to give Congress documents concerning Benghazi according to Senator Richard Burr, a member of the Senate Select Committee. [CNS News]
“Mr. Brennan, as you know, the committee’s conducting a thorough inquiry into the attacks in Benghazi, Libya,” Sen. Burr said. “In the course of this investigation, the CIA has repeatedly delayed and in some cases flatly refused to provide documents to this committee.”
Yet, President Obama thinks his administration it the most transparent ever:
2. If you are a compulsive shopper, you don’t want to read this. You can now tweet shop. All you have to do is sync your AmEx card to your twitter account and, when you see a deal you want, you put a hashtag in that corresponds to the deal, and it’s yours. That’s so dangerous on so many levels. [Businessweek]
3. CNN is so desperate for news that they are going to film the arrival of the ailing cruise ship as it docks in Alabama at about 9:30 pm this evening. They are going live at 7 pm. CNN has come a long way from their glory days of filming wars.
Four days ago the Carnival cruise ship had a fire in the engine room which knocked out the power and the plumbing. The toilets overflowed and ship is allegedly awash in sewerage. [CNN]
4. The first bionic eye for a rare disease has been approved by the FDA. It might restore some sight for people suffering from retinitis pigmentosa. USA Today
5. A wife gave her husband the best Valentine’s Day gift ever – one of her kidneys. [USA Today]
6. The VFW is angered over the US plans to create a new Distinguished Warfare Medal for basically working a joystick. It would outrank the purple heart! The government appears to be confusing wartime bravery with skills on the computer. It is a way for the government to diminish our warriors.
7. CNS News reports that Senator Tom Harkin said the US doesn’t have a spending problem, it has a “misallocation of wealth” problem. Spoken like a true elitist socialist.
“We’re the richest nation in the history of the world. That kind of begs the question doesn’t it? If we’re so rich, why are we so broke?”
“Is it a spending problem? Harkin said. “No, it’s because we have a misallocation of capital, a misallocation of wealth.”
“All of this wealth that’s been built up by hard-working Americans has been accumulated into fewer and fewer and fewer hands all the time,” Harkin said.
8. A new sex ed bill will provide grants to programs that reject gender stereotypes and promote LGBT students.
9. The NY Post has this gem for us:
“Looting lawmaker Shirley Huntley loaded up on fancy clothes and spa treatments — and that was just for her pet poodle.
The former state senator, who admitted stealing taxpayer cash for shopping sprees, took along her BFF, Assemblywoman Vivian Cook, to go bargain hunting at the Tanger Outlets mall in Riverhead, LI, a source said.
The duo would use half a tank of gas to get to the mall, home to upscale outlets including Barneys, Saks Fifth Avenue and Coach.
The ladies also favored Lord & Taylor, and Huntley wasn’t just buying for herself — she made sure her white poodle was well dressed, the source said.”
photo & story via Weasel Zippers
10. Talking about sequestration, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee said that she was a freed slave, giving Rush Limbaugh material for his show today as he talked about how good she looked for someone 110 years old, asking who sold her, and so on:
“May I ask them to take some cotton out of their ears, because in actuality, the president extended his hands of friendship,” she said. “I don’t want to hear the fact that the president is divisive. The president is leading, and he’s led well.”
Jackson Lee suggested lawmakers should take inspiration from President Lincoln’s leadership during the Civil War.
“I stand here as a freed slave because this Congress came together. Are we going to be able to do it today to free America?” Pundit Press
11. Okay, here’s a question for you. What could be worse than Andrew Cuomo or a Mafia Don running for President? The answer is Rahm Emanuel! The incompetent Mayor who can’t get crime under control and whose schools are abysmal failures wants to do for the entire country what he’s done for Chicago!!! Yea!