23-Year Old Austin Bomber Blew Himself Up – Updates


The Austin serial bomber was a 23-year old white man who police were monitoring for two days. He is now dead in Round Rock Texas. Mark Anthony Conditt of Pflugerville has been named as the mad bomber.

Mark Anthony Conditt

The bomber’s last two bombs were left in a Fed Ex facility. He was the only person in the facility when he left them Sunday morning and police were able to track him down with surveillance video and cell phone tracking.

Conditt might have been disguised but they were able to triangulate using cell phones.

About 48 hours ago, the chief contacted the bomber via TV and tried to open a dialogue. He left a number for the killer to call. The response by the bomber was to leave the two bombs at a FedEx center. One of those went off prematurely in the facility, injuring one worker, and another was found and detonated by police.

Police were able to find the car he was driving and the hotel where it was parked.

After the bomber left the hotel parking lot last night, the police closed in and stopped him on the Interstate. The bomber set a bomb off in his car, killing himself. A SWAT officer also shot at him. It’s not yet known if he hit the suspect.

One SWAT officer received minor injuries as he approached the bomber’s car and was thrown by the bomb igniting.

The police do not have a motive at this time and the investigation continues. Gov. Abbott said he was not ex-military as media has been reporting.

Anthony Conditt

Conditt lived with 2 roommates in a house he bought and built with his father. He was homeschooled and attended classes at Austin Community College. The roommates are not suspects according to Governor Abbott.

He has three sisters. His mother wrote on her Facebook page:

“I officially graduated Mark from High School on Friday. 1 down, 3 to go. He has 30 hrs of college credit too, but he’s thinking of taking some time to figure out what he wants to do….maybe a mission trip. Thanks to everyone for your support over the years,” Danene Conditt wrote in February 2013.

Neighbors thought he was normal. Maybe he was just evil. You never know what goes on in a person’s mind.

He worked for Crux Semiconductor at one point. A spokesperson for Crux told KVUE-TV that Conditt was “quiet, introverted and reserved.”

On Blogger.com, he described himself as a conservative who was opposed to gay marriage and, ironically, he appeared to be pro-life.

The Bombings

The bombings, which began March 2, left a 39-year-old father and a 17-year-old boy dead, while a woman in her 40s and a 75-year-old woman were critically injured. Two men in their 20s were wounded in the fourth attack, and a FedEx employee suffered a concussion in the fifth explosion.

Conditt used an “exotic” and foreign battery in each of his explosives, which allowed authorities to link the bombings together, NBC News reports. The batteries came from Asia, according to NBC News.

Using “cell phone technology,” investigators tracked Conditt to Round Rock. He turned on his cell phone just about two hours before he died, which led authorities to him, according to NBC News.

The SWAT officers located his car in the parking lot of a hotel and when he drove off, they followed him. He deliberately drove into a ditch on the side of the road and stopped. When officers approached his vehicle, he blew himself up.

A Federal Law Enforcement officer told CNN the serial bomber wanted to cause “mayhem and death.” Beyond that, no motive has been mentioned.

This story was updated at 12:15 pm EST

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments