Even though the IRS is able to easily identify undocumented workers who are using fake Social Security numbers, the agency chooses to look the other way – even when a valid Social Security number belonging to an American citizen is used to file a tax return and wreaks havoc on his or her life.
They encourage identity theft by illegal aliens and it’s not punished. The left also believes it is not an offense worthy of deportation.
Last year alone, the IRS discovered more than 1 million Americans whose Social Security numbers were stolen by illegal immigrants, but officials never bothered to tell the taxpayers themselves, the agency’s inspector general said in a withering new report released in August of last year.
Investigators first alerted the IRS to the problem five years ago, but it’s still not fixed, the inspector general said, and a pilot program meant to test a solution was canceled — and fell woefully short anyway.
As a result, most taxpayers don’t learn that their identities have been stolen and their Social Security files may be screwed up.
“Taxpayers identified as victims of employment-related identity theft are not notified,” the inspector general said.
Social Security is broken. There is no money and the youth who are paying for it are on track to get nothing. It is no small matter that illegal aliens collect and send the money to their home country.
The Center for Immigration Studies found that illegal aliens are not undocumented. They have fraudulent documents such as counterfeit Social Security cards, forged drivers licenses, fake “green cards,” and phony birth certificates. Experts suggest that approximately 75 percent of working-age illegal aliens use fraudulent Social Security cards to obtain employment.
Children are prime targets. In Arizona, an estimated one million children are victims of identity theft.
Document fraud is not a victimless crime and the children whose Social Security numbers are used for employment purposes suffer very real and serious harm.”
Jennifer Andrushko’s 3-year-old son is one of those victims. His identity was taken by an illegal immigrant, who then used it to fraudulently obtain work and run up unpaid medical bills.
“I cannot express how ridiculous it is that my son’s Social Security number has been used for care at an OB/GYN’s office or how frightening it is to know that my son’s medical history has been blatantly corrupted, which could have serious, life-threatening impacts on my son’s life and medical care,” Andrushko said in her testimony.
When Andrushko’s son was born, the Social Security Administration issued him a Social Security number that had already been used for years by an illegal immigrant. His credit, his medical history, his work history and his potential for being denied future benefits were immediately corrupted.
The illegal immigrant who created the fake Social Security number was arrested and placed on an immigration hold and yet released – twice. She runs free while the Andrushko boy’s Social Security number is tied to a criminal record.
The millions of victims include:
· A 9-year-old boy who was denied Medicaid because wages were reported on his Social Security number.
· A 13-year-old girl who was denied as a dependent on her family’s tax return because she supposedly made too much money.
· An 11-year-old girl and a 13-year-old girl whose Social Security numbers are being used by multiple people for work authorization.
- Illegal immigration and high levels of identity theft go hand-in-hand. States with the most illegal immigration also have high levels of job-related identity theft.
- Illegal aliens commit felonies in order to get jobs. Illegal aliens who use fraudulent documents, perjure themselves on I-9 forms, and commit identity theft in order to get jobs are committing serious offenses and are not “law abiding.”
- Illegally employed aliens send billions of dollars annually to their home countries, rather than spending it in the United States and helping stimulate the American economy. In October 2008 alone, $2.4 billion was transferred to Mexico.
- Tolerance of corruption erodes the rule of law.
- Most (98 percent) Social Security number (SSN) thieves use their own names with stolen numbers. The federal E-Verify program, now mandated in only 14 states, can detect this fraud. Universal, mandatory use of E-Verify would curb this and stop virtually 100 percent of child identity theft, the Center found.
Employers and government officials are encouraging and facilitating identity theft which has very real consequences.