Black Rifle Coffee Hates You – Updated with CEO’s statement

23277

Update at the end with a statement from Mr. Hafer.

Black Rifle Coffee sells itself as America’s coffee but in a recent NY Times interview, its CEO Evan Hafer didn’t seem to like some conservatives, maybe all. The Trump-endorsed coffee by vets was the subject of a hit piece at the NY Times, but it was Hafer’s own words that did him in across the Internet. He either fell for it in a weak moment or he wanted to distance himself from some or all of his base.

The company started in 2014 branding itself as pro-military, pro-firearm, pro-law enforcement, and ‘anti-hipster.’ All of which are popular views among the right. That is why the brand gained popularity in the conservative and MAGA movement in 2017.

In his interview with The New York Times, Evan Hafer started out straddling the fence, but staying mostly on the right:

Like most Americans, Evan Hafer experienced the Jan. 6 insurrection at the United States Capitol from a distance, watching it unfold on his television and his iPhone from Salt Lake City. What he saw did not surprise him. Hafer, who is 44, voted for Donald Trump. He was even open at first to the possibility that Trump’s claims of sweeping voter fraud were legitimate, until William Barr, Trump’s attorney general, declared in early December that he could find no evidence that such fraud occurred.

Still, Hafer told me recently, “you’re told by the commander in chief for months that the election was stolen, so you’re going to have a group of people that are really pissed.”

While he disapproved of those who stormed the Capitol, he didn’t believe that they or their actions constituted a real threat to the republic. “I’ve seen an insurrection,” said Hafer, a former Green Beret and C.I.A. contractor who served in Afghanistan and Iraq. “I know what that looks like.”

Most of the interview was like that. The Times baited him over his hat being worn on January 6th and the Rittenhouse episode in which the teen used an AR-15, a gun promoted by the coffee company.

The Times got more than they could have asked for from Hafer and they put it at the end for everlasting impact. The Hafer comment was made in relation to Kyle Rittenhouse, the teen who was attempting to protect an auto showroom when he became engaged in three assaults. He shot three in what looks like self-defense, and two men died.

“You can’t let sections of your customers hijack your brand and say, ‘This is who you are,’” Best told me. “It’s like, no, no, we define that.”

The Rittenhouse episode may have cost the company thousands of customers, but, Hafer believed, it also allowed Black Rifle to draw a line in the sand. “It’s such a repugnant group of people,” Hafer said. “It’s like the worst of American society, and I got to flush the toilet of some of those people that kind of hijacked portions of the brand.”

Then again, what Hafer insisted was a “superclear delineation” was not too clear to everyone, as Munchel’s [Ultimate Fighting Championship contender] choice of headgear [on 1-6] vividly demonstrated.

“The racism [expletive] really pisses me off,” Hafer said. “I hate racist, Proud Boy-ish people. Like, I’ll pay them to leave my customer base. I would gladly chop all of those people out of my [expletive] customer database and pay them to get the [expletive] out.” If that was the case, I asked, had Black Rifle — which sells a Thin Blue Line coffee — considered changing the name of its Beyond Black coffee, a dark roast it has sold for years, to Beyond Black Lives Matter? Surely that would alienate the racists polluting its customer base.

Hafer began to laugh. “You wouldn’t do that,” I ventured.

“I would never do that,” Hafer replied. “We’re trying to be us.

He’s seen as the Megyn Kelly of coffee now.

The company lost customers for portraying Trump supporters as racists or Nazis, and we have some reactions below, but this is the one we might want to be more concerned about.

THE WOKE PENTAGON

The Pentagon thinks St. Michael the Archangel is a hate symbol? We wouldn’t doubt it since they use the Christian-hating Southern Poverty Law Center as advisors.

RESPONSES

UPDATE

Mr. Hafer said he is a conservative and was not talking about conservatives. He says he was only referencing racism and anti-Semitism. You can listen and decide for yourself.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Evan Hafer (@evanhafer)

PowerInbox
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
31 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Sargent David S. Cooper
Sargent David S. Cooper
10 months ago

Sadly going woke will result in their extremely overpriced coffee rotting on the warehouse shelves as millions of patriots that created their success now go back to Folgers!

Go woke go broke boys!

hedlite
hedlite
10 months ago

I like BLC and have bought it in the past. Yeah, it’s a bit pricey but, I thought, it tasted ok and it supported Conservative causes and people.
Like Dick’s and, to some degree, Chick-Fil-A, they decided to piss on the very people that made them successful. Will they go broke, one can hope. Both Dick’s and CFA haven’t gotten a dime of my $$$ since they decided to throw me and many other, long time supporters, under the bus.
BRC is just another, formerly decent company, that will see no more purchases from me.
Sad.

Frank Davis
Frank Davis
10 months ago
Reply to  hedlite

How did Chick-Fil-A piss on the people who made them successful?

j
j
9 months ago
Reply to  Frank Davis

They decided to pull donations to several conservative causes and Christian groups such as The Salvation Army because of pressure from LBTCQwhatevereveryone is confused groups.

This Machine Makes Good Commies
This Machine Makes Good Commies
10 months ago

Eat shit with that overpriced rat piss swill.
I’ll buy some dollar store crap first.

Greg
Greg
10 months ago

If that’s the company I think it is, their commercial was bizarre to say the least, and had nothing to do with coffee. I wouldn’t even consider getting their coffee for that reason alone.

Only a prosecutor that is corrupt through and through would ever contemplate filing charges against Rittenhouse. The totality of the video evidence is rather conclusive.

Was this character possibly jilted by a girlfriend.

The Violator
The Violator
10 months ago

I hate a commie rat cocksucker right back. No love lost.
Not my comrade and don’t come anywhere near my trench.

GuvGeek
GuvGeek
10 months ago

The Proud Boy issue is complicated. Just like the NRA has had to deal with “Guilt by Association” in being associated with some over the line Militia Groups, Proud Boys has been associated with some questionable cells within Proud Boys. I worry those Groups are FBI False Flag Operations. Without the Good Will NRA has from from its very positive ventures, Proud Boys just doesn’t have that kind of cache of good deeds to offset the radicals in it’s ranks. Proud Boys probably isn’t as bad as the Media makes them out to be, but a Business probably doesn’t want to be closely associated with them.

Evan Hafer as a CEO is probably smart to keep Proud Boys at arms length, if not across the room, and until there is more legal proof of election fraud he should reserve opinion on that even though logic indicates substantial Fraud. It’s one thing to know a crime was committed, but proving it in court isn’t that straight forward, especially when it’s the Government covering up the fraud. When it comes to Kye Rittenhouse, being a rural southerner at heart, let’s just say that he would probably want me on his jury. People in cities are far too dependent on the police for their security. Police are supposed to keep the peace, they’re not body guards. With our Military being forced to “play policeman” overseas, I can understand a dislike for “Militia”. I don’t think that Hafer is “Woke”, but I definitely wouldn’t consider Hafer a Libertarian.

I think Ms. Dowling should have cut Hafer a little more slack in a Cancel Culture World that can destroy a small business still trying to establish itself. While I’m a Registered Libertarian, I vote Republican to stop the Democrat Lunatics. That doesn’t mean I support Liz Chaney or Mitt Romney. They represent two extremes within the Republican Party. Maybe if Black Rifle was as large and established as My Pillow, Hafer would have had a much different interview. Personally, I think Liberals see BRC as a future threat and the NYT was looking to do a hit piece to take them out. I like Black Rifle Coffee and calling the Company Woke is going way too far. I think at heart, Hafer and his employees are America First Patriots who are realist in a very extremist political environment. I bet the Vast Majority of BRC employees would vote for President Trump and we need numbers to defeat Communist Democrats. President Trump is still making converts to a solid base of 75,000,000 and BRC is a target simply because they were Trump-endorsed.

Neal Maben
Neal Maben
10 months ago
Reply to  GuvGeek

Your apologies for Hafer ring hollow. The stupidity of giving an interview to the New York slimes warrants cancellation of your subscription to the coffee company. If there ever was a pseudo-tabloid rag it is the New York slimes. Nothing but an ongoing Marxist op-ed. The old gray lady should just die already. I am a conservative leaning libertarian. And I found Hafer’s remarks repugnant and stupid. A full apology is in order. Barring that, I will never purchase this product again.