Townhall’s political editor Guy Benson has spoken with GOP aides to find out what the holdup is on the new stimulus. As we noted, Speaker Pelosi saw an opportunity here and swooshed in with new demands that have nothing to do with the virus.
According to the report, Democrats are demanding unprecedented collective bargaining powers for unions, increased fuel emissions standards for [struggling] airlines, and the expansion of wind and solar tax credits.
As Pelosi has been quoted saying, she has the GOP “over a barrel.”
Benson’s source told him, “…not only are these completely unrelated to the coronavirus epidemic, they could prevent companies from participating in the loan programs altogether—directly causing unnecessary layoffs.”
Via senior GOP aide, Schumer/Pelosi now pushing these demands amid pandemic-fueled economic collapse:
1) Unprecedented collective bargaining powers for unions
2) Increased fuel emissions standards for airlines
3) Expansion of wind and solar tax credits
— Guy Benson (@guypbenson) March 23, 2020
Let’s not forget what the Majority Whip said in a call last week: “This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision,” James Clyburn (D-S.C.) told lawmakers.
She has also wanted oppressive ObamaCare provisions for the uninsured, and provisions to protect individuals from eviction, foreclosure, or forbearance. The wording could suggest permanency. A few weeks ago, she insisted on funding for Planned Parenthood.
The Marxist Speaker has recessed the House so the GOP has to agree to her bill. She will not agree to anything but a bad deal that hurts the President.
After publication, we added a more complete list of demands by the Speaker:
- bail out the post office,
- pay off some portion of college loans.
- publish corporate pay stats by race for all corporate boards,
- permanent paid leave,
- mandate a federal minimum wage of $15,
- commission a study on climate change,
- rescued companies must abide by the Democrat rules,
- require early voting and same-day voting,
- provide cash for unions via official time for collective bargaining,
- a full offset of airline emissions,
- the publication of greenhouse gas emissions for flights,
- cash payments for everyone,
- double the endowment for the arts to $300 million
- and retirement plans for newspaper employees — nothing like making newspapers even more beholden to Democrat politicians.
We are the collateral damage:
.Never forget #Pelosi said this
“If there is collateral damage for those that do not share our view, than so be it.”
~Nancy Pelosi SOTH
— 🌴ropical chillin’ 😷🐸 (@BlueMoon7777) March 23, 2020
NB: We added the demands after publication.