According to CNN, Fox News settled with Gretchen Carlson and acknowledged how badly she was treated and publicly apologized.
“We sincerely regret and apologize for the fact that Gretchen was not treated with the respect that she and all our colleagues deserve,” Fox said.
Ms. Carlson won a $20 million award. She had brought in outside lawyers to investigate.
At the same time, 21st Century Fox has also made deals with a “handful” (reportedly 3) of other women who likewise accused Roger Ailes of harassing behavior, the network reported. More than 20 women submitted complaints.
These payments were “substantially smaller” than Carlson’s $20 million, the site reported. Because of the settlement, Carlson will not testify against Ailes or share any evidence of harassment. Several news outlets have reported that Carlson recorded some of her meetings with Ailes.
Carlson hired a PR firm to rebrand so she can continue on TV, write a book and engage in philathropy.
Fox News is moving very quickly to put the scandal behind them.
Another former Fox News host, Laurie Dhue, has said she is writing a book that would include details of her time working for Ailes.
One person whose complaint was not settled, CNN added, is ex host Andrea Tantaros, who the network has labeled an “opportunist.” Her case has been viewed with skepticism and it’s not likely there is a settlement in her future. Fox said in their filing that her suit was filled with “falsehoods.”
Greta Van Susteren tried to negotiate her contract but when that failed, she left. Her husband hinted that there could be a lawsuit.
The end was very messy according to the latest reports.
The long-time Fox News host reportedly expected to leave the network after a few weeks according to CNN Money, but her husband is claiming that the end came a bit more sudden than previously alluded to:
A courier arrived at Van Susteren’s Washington, D.C. home at 9 a.m. Tuesday, hand-delivering two letters that said that Van Susteren “was being taken off the air” immediately, according to her husband, John Coale, who is a high-profile Washington lawyer. Van Susteren was already planning to leave, but she thought she would be hosting her 7 p.m. program “On the Record” for a few more weeks. Yanking her off the air without a chance to say goodbye was “a bit immature,” Coale remarked.
And the courier reportedly wasn’t the end of it according to CNN Money:
The network announced her departure less than an hour after the courier arrived. Van Susteren was not quoted in the press release. Fox then deleted the “On the Record” web site, Van Susteren’s biography, and her pioneering Gretawire blog — essentially erasing her from FoxNews.com.
Susteren’s swift exit is connected to a clause in her Fox News contract
The Sentinel will greatly miss Ms. Tantaros and Ms. Van Susteren. Reports are that Megyn Kelly will be the next to go.