Photo of Obama and Sebelius as Laurel and Hardy
Mr. Obama won’t take healthcare.gov offline while it is being repaired for political reasons. He apparently isn’t concerned that the security is such that it endangers the personal information of people who fill out the application, people who are so desperate they will struggle to get on the site because they need health insurance.
Mr. Obama said he didn’t know anything about the website problems and found out when we all found out. On the other hand, Jay Carney said Mr. Obama ‘constantly asked’ about how the website was progressing.
During the last press conference, Jonathan Karl of ABC News asked Jay Carney, “Can I just ask you, the president said yesterday, ‘I was not informed directly that the web site would not be working the way it was supposed to.’ I mean, we’ve heard the latest is the project manager on healthcare.gov warned, was worried this thing could crash at takeoff. I’m just wondering, did the president at any point ask the question has this thing been tested?..”
Carney’s response was that the president ‘constantly asked‘ about the status of the website.
Karl then asked Carney who misled the president because obviously if he constantly asked, someone misled him.
Carney warned that the press should listen to the whole story. He referred to: anticipated glitches, unanticipated problems, admitted the website hasn’t functioned perfectly, said we’re as frustrated as everyone, we’re focused on fixing it, we’re not focused on dribbling political points, and we’re focused on getting it right. You can listen to the press conference at Real Clear Politics.
This is all very peculiar since top administration officials knew four days before the launch on October 1st that the site was not secure. The AP reported that administration officials were concerned that a lack of testing posed a “high” security risk for President Barack Obama’s new health insurance website.
A Sept. 27 memo to Medicare chief Marylin Tavenner said a website contractor wasn’t able to test all the security controls in one complete version of the system.
The Health and Human Services (HHS) Inspector General previously expressed concerns with the site’s security during a review in August, noting that the deadline for the security authorization was pushed from September 4th to September 30th, the day before launch.
Go to the director blue blogspot and see what two top officials, Chao and Tavenner, knew which they said they didn’t know.
Despite all this, they went ahead with the launch, and the president, who constantly asked about the status of the website, was never told a thing and he’s not upset about that.
We can be certain that everyone will keep their jobs unless they relinquish them voluntarily.
Under testimony, Sebelius said that the site’s security certification was temporary, but assured the public consumer information was safe.
Why would it be safe? Why?
Sebelius said she was never told to delay the launch and didn’t know there was a problem until after the launch.
I’m sure she was constantly asking about the progress of the site though.
Healthcare.gov connects to states websites and the data hub. There are thousands of points at which data could be compromised in this vast Internet highway, but no one thought to stop the launch and no one thinks it should be taken offline now.
To summarize, the president and all the president’s top people didn’t know anything about the website problems, they were constantly on top of it, they hate people getting all political on them, and they’re focused on getting it right. Got it?