The Tragic Loss of Those Who Died Searching for Bowe Bergdahl


those who died

At least six men are said to have died looking for Bowe Bergdahl and many more were injured. Some reports say fourteen died.

Bowe Bergdahl appears to have deserted. It is clear that he voluntarily walked off post. At the time, it was understood that he was not captured. The day after he deserted, he made a phone call to two soldiers in his platoon to tell them he deserted. He might be mentally ill.

When Bergdahl went missing, thousands of men were ordered to stop doing what they were doing and search for Bowe Bergdahl.

The Taliban knew the military was looking for him. They put out false leads and then ambushed the soldiers who took the bait.

The Taliban are evil people who behead children and machine gun girl’s schools. They are the worst of the worst. Bergdahl’s actions put the soldiers in Afghanistan in grave danger as they tried to find him.

Hundreds of soldiers are out on the Internet telling the truth about Bergdahl – the man Mr. Obama welcomed back as a hero, broke the law for, and traded five vicious, top level Taliban for. The truth is that many of the soldiers who served with Bergdahl are now bitter over the danger and terror his colleagues faced as they searched for him.

“Pentagon officials have suggested that Bergdahl will likely not be charged with any violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, believing that five years in Taliban custody was punishment enough,” according to

The White House suggested that Bergdahl suffered enough and Chuck Hagel said that the first priority was to get him well.

They are going to push this under the rug.

“I was pissed off then and I am even more so now with everything going on,” former Sgt. Matt Vierkant, a member of Bergdahl’s platoon, told CNN. “Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him.”

CNN reported that at least six men died looking for Sgt. Bergdahl in 2009: Staff Sgt. Michael Murphrey on Sept. 5; Staff Sgt. Clayton Bowen and Pfc. Morris Walker on Aug. 18; 2nd Lt. Darryn Andrews and Pfc. Matthew Michael Martinek on Sept. 4; Staff Sgt. Kurt Curtiss on Aug. 26.

At least some of the families, perhaps all, were not told the truth about the circumstances surrounding the deaths of their loved one.

These men who died are the heroes we must remember.

funeral MM laid to rest Michael Murphrey's baby Sgt Murphrey

Army Staff Sgt. Michael C. Murphrey

Died September 6, 2009

The 25-year old from Snyder, Texas died September 6 of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his unit the an improvised explosive devices.

The AP reported that those who knew him said he had all the qualities of a good soldier. He was loyal, respectful and had a selfless sense of service.

“He always prioritized his comrades’ needs and did more than his share of the work, Brig. Gen. Keith Walker said at Murphrey’s memorial service, where hundreds of people packed the church and locals lined the streets, waving American flags.”

Mourners at the First Baptist Church of Clyde wiped away tears as a slideshow flashed images of Murphrey growing up, from his own infancy to the birth of his son, Jaden, and his daughter, Cameron.

Murphrey is also survived by his wife, Ashley; his parents, Elvie and Evelyn Murphrey; and his sisters Jeanie Rutherford, Wendy Stehouwer, Pearl McKay and Krisa Johnson.

There is a scholarship fund in his name.

A tribute to Michael Murphrey:

Morris Walker
Morris L Walker

Army Pfc. Morris L. Walker

Died August 18, 2009

Morris Walker of Chapel Hill was only 23 years old when he died on August 18 of wounds sustained when an IED was detonated near his vehicle.

According to The Military Times, the 23-year old of Chapel Hill, N.C. died Aug. 18 in Dila, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. Also killed was Staff Sgt. Clayton P. Bowen.

His guidance counselor said he ‘had a peace about him.’ He was reported to be easygoing and an incurable optimist – ‘a ray of sunshine.’

“What I think of first when I think of Morris is his smile because he was always smiling,” said Wanda Bordone, who taught him seventh- and eighth-grade English at Fayetteville Academy in North Carolina. “He had a great sense of humor, lots of friends.”

He was on the varsity basketball team, served as student government treasurer and worked with a community service club at his high school.

Sam Rosenthal was one of his best friends and share his feeling about his friend with IndyWeek saying,

“What people should know about Mo is who he was as far as how he made other people feel when they were around him. He was just a joy. I think that he epitomized cool, but he was never too cool. It was just kind of him, and he wasn’t perfect. He had his insecurities and his flaws, and I think that’s what endeared him to people, was that he was so perfectly comfortable with who he was and who everybody else was.

“The last conversation I had with him, he was giving me girl advice thousands of miles away. He was still one of my best friends, and that never changed and it still won’t. … It will in some regards, I can’t ask him stuff anymore.”


Clayton Bowen

Army Staff Sergeant Clayton Patrick Bowen was from San Antonio, Texas.

Died August 18, 2009

Clayton Bowen was killed in action on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2009, in Paktika Province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle.

The Fallen Heroes Project has paid tribute to him.

About one month before an improvised explosive device ended his life, Clayton offered his fellow soldiers at a remote Afghanistan outpost a parcel that made their jaws drop. Addressed to him, the package contained a collection of heavy-duty construction tools the soldiers later would use to improve living conditions at the crude desert outpost, where plywood huts serve as sleeping quarters. “I’ve got connections,” Bowen, 29, explained.

Earlier, the 12-year Army veteran had asked his stepfather and mother, who publish a construction industry newspaper, to print an ad asking for donations. The tools had poured in, according to Buddy and Reesa Doebbler.

“He wanted to see if there was anything he could bring into the outpost to make their lives a little more normal,” said his mother.

This act of generosity was one of the last in a history of such displays, relatives said.

His family was told he was providing security for Afghanistan’s presidential election. “They were trying to keep the peace,” said his mother.

Clayton received 10 medals and a Purple Heart during his time in service.


Darryn Andrews

Darren Deen Andrews

Army 2nd Lt. Darryn D. Andrews

Died September 4, 2009

Darryn Andrews, 34, of Dallas was killed Sept. 4 in Yahya Khail District, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive device and a rocket-propelled grenade.

The Associated Press wrote that Darryn D. Andrews wasn’t one for shaking hands. “If he knew you, it was always a bear hug. It didn’t make any difference,” said his mother, Sondra.

She said he loved life, especially with his wife, Julie, and their 2-year-old son. The couple was expecting their second child when Andrews died Sept. 4 of wounds from a rocket-propelled grenade in Paktika province, Afghanistan.

His mother said he was lighthearted, energetic and “could put a fun spin on any situation.” He enjoyed scuba and sky diving, fishing and hunting, and he immersed himself in athletics, theater productions and church youth group while growing up in the Texas panhandle.

He and his twin brother, Jarrett, attended Texas Tech University, and he earned a master’s degree from Texas State University in 2008. But his sense of duty led him to the military six years ago, following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather.

“We grew up with an enormous amount of pride for our nation,” she said. “We passed it on to our children, never thinking we would pay the ultimate sacrifice.”

Andrews also is survived by his father.

His parents were told he died looking for a top Taliban commander. According to the Daily Mail online, his parents are outraged to discover the truth and after having been told lies. His father said,  ‘For his family it’s good to get him [Bowe Bergdahl] back but we will never be able to get our son back because of the actions of this guy’


Matthew Michael Martinek

Army Pfc. Matthew M. Martinek

Died September 11, 2009

Matthew Marinek 20, of DeKalb, Illinois died Sept. 11 at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany, of wounds sustained in Paktika province, Afghanistan, Sept. 4 when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an improvised-explosive device followed by a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire.

The AP said friends and family described him as having a sparkle in his eyes. “If you were in a bad mood, he always did something to cheer you up y’know, one of those clowns,” said Ryne Jones, who worked with him at a car care center in Martinek’s hometown of DeKalb, Ill.

“He tried not to talk too much about what he was doing, but he said he liked helping people,” said his brother, Travis Wright.

His stepmother, Char DeGand, said he loved the outdoors snowboarding, camping, all-terrain vehicles and had an impressive tan for someone stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska.

She said he was an organ donor, helping to save other soldiers even after his death.

Martinek also is survived by his father, Michael; mother, Cheryl Brandes Ferguson; and brothers Frank and Michael Jr.



Kurt R Curtiss

Staff Sgt Kurt Robert Curtiss

Kurt Robert Curtiss

Died August 26 2009

Staff Sgt. Kurt R. Curtiss, 27, of Murray, Utah, died Aug. 26 in Paktika Province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when he was shot while his unit was supporting Afghan security forces during an enemy attack.

KSL reported that Curtiss joined the Army the day after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. His mother, Ruth Serrano, says during the last eight years he deployed twice to Iraq and had been in Afghanistan nearly a year.

His sister said he loved his country and his service in the Army.

“He just wanted to make a difference,” said his sister, Lynn Burr. “He wanted to help keep everybody safe, especially his family.”

Ruth Serrano last talked to her son before his death. At that time, she says she had a sense– a mother’s intuition– that danger was growing for him in Afghanistan.

“When he told me that he loved me, his voice quivered,” said Serrano. “He had that quiver in his voice, and for some reason I just knew that something was wrong.”

When the family got the call from the Army two days ago, she knew immediately what had happened.

The Army told the family Curtiss was shot and killed in the Sar Howzeh District of Paktika Province as he helped evacuate a hospital under fire. “He was the first one in the door, and he was caught in the crossfire,” said his mother.


Bowe Bergdahl’s father Robert has been tweeting his sympathy for the Afghans we fought. He’s encouraging Mr. Obama to release all the prisoners who are in GITMO. He’s even planting trees all over Afghanistan. What will he do for the families of these men who lost their loved ones as they tried to save his son? Will he plant trees or offer his thanks?

What will Bowe Bergdahl say when he is allowed to address those he left behind?

The United States did not leave Bergdahl behind but he left his colleagues behind.